Why is it that these 11 powerful Marketing Tips for copywriters send chills up the spine of anyone perusing a copywriting career?
It can actually be for several reasons but a big one is the M word...
Yes, I'll say it... MARKETING!
Those of us that want writing careers don't think of ourselves as the sales type, but if we want to be successful, that has to change. After all, how will anyone read your writing if no one knows about it?
But does S & M have to send fear through us like a trip to the dentist?
The problem is that sales and marketing have a bad wrap. Mostly because of car salesmen I think. You know the type...
They tell you anything just to get you into that new car, and leave out the fact that it's a piece of junk! And then charge you way more than the sticker price. No wonder we are terrified. Who want to be one of them?
Well, it doesn't have to be that way!
The reality of the marketing game is that it is all about letting people know what you have to offer. We all know that being forceful and lying won't get you business much less repeat business. No one wants to do business with someone like that!
That's not what becoming a writer is all about. Business copywriting is a valuable profession and in order to offer the value you provide, clients have to know that you are a writer wanted!
Pay attention to these tips and give your copywriting business a boost without any pain.
Now that you understand what marketing is all about, let’s discuss...
1.Marketing tip # 1 - To be a copywriter you need to have clients. You can do just one or two things a day to market your business to find freelance writing opportunities and they don't have to be scary.
2. Stay in touch. It doesn't take a lot of effort to drop an email or note once a month or so to your client list. Yet it could mean lots of repeat copywriting jobs for you which make this a powerful marketing tip!
3. As writers we like the solitude but it's not good for your bottom line. Get out and meet with business owners in your community and network. It may not get you a new copywriting job that day but people will know who you are and what you offer so when they need a copywriting help, they will know who to call.
4. Make it easy to find you. Have your contact information on all your promotional materials and have a website too.
5. What is copywriting? That question may be asked so have a quick, easy answer that will explain how it will benefit them to use your services. "We help you to make more money."
This is a valuable and important marketing tip for copywriters. It's easy yet most business copywriters don't use it.
6. Give seminars or teach a class. Although you may think that by teaching them they won't need to hire you, that's not the case. They will see the work that goes into it and really want someone else to do it. So why not hire you?
7. To grow your business, you need to know what is working. Tracking all your promotional activities will let you know what is worth your time and what isn't.
8. Pay attention. If you listen long enough, clients will tell you what they want.
9. Join the chamber of commerce, any valuable trade associations and business groups. Have your contact information on any written materials and offer some type of free information.
10. Do you have a website that has an easy to remember name? Have samples, articles, and contact information on every page? You should! Out of the 11 powerful marketing tips for copywriters...this is at the top of the list.
11. Staying in touch once you have the clients is an easy way to stay busy as a freelance copywriter. Try direct mail. It's a great way to get new clients and stay in touch with clients you are already working with. It keeps your name in the forefront of their minds and when they need an expert copywriter, you will get the call.
See how these marketing tips for copywriters can be so painless? Marketing your copywriting business doesn’t have to be stressful. It’s all about thinking about it differently. Having the right attitude will help you really enjoy the process.
Peter Bowerman's book The Well Fed Writer will make marketing your copywriting business easier than you thought possible! He has samples, great advice and everything you need to take the pain out of getting business! I have read this book about five times and always learn new things to implement in my own business! Highly recommended.
Read Chapter 1 Here.
Writing E-books for Fun and Profit explains step by step how to get ideas for your ebooks as well as how to write, publish and market your ebooks.
Also included is writing advice and checklists, links to writing, publishing and book promotion websites are included to assist the reader to stay on task when creating their own ebooks.
Revised and updated.
Do you love to learn new things, just for the sake of learning? Do you enjoy sharing what you learn with others? Do you enjoy the written word? Can you clearly describe the steps needed to get something done?
If you answered “yes” to these questions then you may just be the perfect candidate for making your living writing “How To” information!